Slow internet is never going to help you out. There can be nothing more frustrating than experiencing the windows 10 slow internet. None of us would prefer having the buffering process going on while watching and enjoying our favorite movie or video.
All of us are now completely immersed in the technology and its benefits, and we cannot wait for a couple of minutes to get things done. All we want is to carry out all the processes quickly for which the internet connection should respond spontaneously.
However, this is not the case with all the network connections.
It is quite hard to imagine an unexpected delay between the ongoing videos and other processes. Unfortunately, the slow wifi windows 10 network is a major problem that lies within the internal system of Windows which is quite painstaking. Windows has a vast collection of all its features, some of which run silently in the background consuming some part of your bandwidth.
So, if you are facing intermittent slow speed, then the below guide will help you to fix the windows 10 slow internet issue on your device.
Why Do We Encounter Slow Internet on Windows 10?
While browsing over the internet, you will eventually come to know about the windows 10 slow internet problem. But, there is no way your computer or your device warn you with an error message which is more comfortable than manually checking the connectivity. Instead, when opening a browser or loading any specific website takes too long, you may likely experience the slow internet windows 10 issue.
There are other signs as well that indicate the occurrence of the issue. Some of these signs include- buffering videos on any platform, stuck or freeze zoom call, or a meet, that probably displays a line as “Your internet connection is unstable”.
But these all indications do occur when you browse the internet. Regardless, you can have a quick speed test as the prominent way to measure your unstable internet connectivity. The speed test helps you to determine both the downloading and the uploading speed that your connection offers. The speed is shown in bits per second (bps) form. As you know, the internet connection transfers the data in the form of bits that could vary from k, M, and G in terms of quantities of bits. Mbps speed is considered to be more stable and prominent than kbps or Gbps in both downloading and uploading cases.
Having a speed of around 25 Mbps or more will give you an immense browsing experience all over the internet. You can listen to your favorite music and stream HD videos without any interruption.
How To Fix a Slow Internet on Windows 10?
After knowing the cause of the windows 10 slow internet, you must know the way to get the issue resolved. Experiencing the slow internet windows 10 issue can be distressing. So, here we have some of the best working methods and techniques to fix the slow wifi windows 10. Just roll down your hands and try out the steps until your slow internet after the windows 10 update problem is resolved.
Monitor The Running Background Applications-
Having various different applications running in the background lets you experience slow internet and increased battery drainage than it happens to be. These applications tend to drain the bandwidth of your internet connection leading to weaker connectivity. You can disable some of these applications when not in use. This will eventually increase the overall performance of your device.
The disabling process can be a headache for the ones who are not familiar with it. But it involves basic steps that one must follow. They are-
- To begin the process, you should open the Task Manager on your device.
- After opening the Manager, go to the Performance tab on your device.
- Once you have reached the Performance tab, click on the Open Resource Monitor feature located at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, go to the Network tab of the screen. You can find all these applications running in the background. All you need to do is, just click on the Processes with Network Activity feature and it will get displayed on the screen. The ones who have higher send and receive requests are the ones that drain the internet bandwidth much quicker than others.
- Select the ones you need to remove from the background. To disable them, just click on the End process button and it will stop functioning.
Disable Peer To Peer Update-
The peer-to-peer update process is another reason for which you may face the slow internet windows 10 error on your device. The feature allows you to share the information for your Windows update with other devices working on the same server. As a result, you experience a slow network or speed for your connection. The peer-to-peer update slows down your network connectivity both before and after the update. So, you should disable the update to use your network efficiently. Here’s how you can limit your bandwidth by disabling the feature.
- Navigate to the start menu and go to the settings option available in the list. You can even search for the one and just launch the application as it comes to the screen.
- Click on the Update and security features to open its menu.
- For further process, click on the Advanced options and then land on to the Delivery Optimization feature.
- Navigate for the “Allow downloads for other PC” feature and enable it just by toggling the button.
- By performing this, you do not need to share your internet with the unknown or the outsiders.
Adjust Your Network Bandwidth Settings-
Windows always have a backup for its users to ensure a decent performance of all its devices. Windows 10 reserves an extra 20% of your Internet bandwidth and uses it to maintain the operating system and other related programs. This states that you do not receive 100% of your Internet bandwidth while browsing the Internet. So, if you have slow internet after the windows 10 update, you must adjust the bandwidth to regain the original speed. The steps to trim your bandwidth setting are as follows-
- Open the Run command on your device using the Windows +R shortcut keys.
- In the text field of the Run command, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- Some of you may get an unrecognized error saying that Windows cannot process the given command. This is because not every Windows version supports the Group Policy edit features. For that, you should install the software on your device before carrying out this process. Whereas, those who have the software pre-installed on their device can continue with the steps.
- Now, click on the Computer configuration steps.
- From the window, open the Administrative templates. Then click on the Network and follow up with the QoS Packet Scheduler.
- After that, click on the limit reservable bandwidth option right in front of the screen.
- As soon as the window pops up on the screen, enable the radial option and reduce the Bandwidth percentage from 100 to 0.
- Just click “OK” and you are done.
Windows will no longer preserve 20% of your bandwidth so you can browse the internet freely and with strong and stable network connectivity.
Update Your Wifi Drivers
Drivers are the most important component that integrates all your computer’s hardware parts to coordinate and work together in an efficient manner. On the other way round, using an outdated or wrong wifi driver can decrease the speed of your network connection. You can try it manually or can update your drivers automatically using the systems. Using the former technique can be a little time-consuming for the ones with a non-technical background. So, to optimize it automatically, one must follow the below steps.
- Open a Command prompt on your device either from the search menu or by using Win+ R shortcut keys followed by typing Cmd in the field.
- Enter the “ netsh wlan show drivers” command in the command prompt and press enter key to execute.
- Select the wireless driver that you are using along with its date and the version as well.
- Copy the driver name from the list and paste it on google to find the relevant update.
- Now, download its latest version on your device from the manufacturer’s website and save it as a new file.
- Run the installer and install the driver on your PC.
- Once the driver is installed, reboot your PC and make a fresh start. Your bandwidth issue has now been resolved.
Disable Large Send Offload (LSO) Feature
The Large Senf Offload is a newly added feature under the Windows 10 system that is used to improve and enhance the overall performance of your devices. The feature allows some of the program applications to run within the background consumes your network bandwidth due to which you may experience a slow internet speed windows 10 issue. However, you can disable its functioning to resolve the issue. The steps are as follows-
- Go to the start menu, click on the search option, and open “Device Manager” from the search menu.
- Click on the arrow located at the right side of the Network adapters to open its menu and other items in the list.
- Now from the list, select the type of Network card that you are currently using to get connected to your network and double-click on the option.
- Click on the Advanced tab navigation menu and select the “Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4)” option given in the list.
- For the feature, change its value and disable it by clicking on Disable option.
- Repeat the same process for the “Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6)” protocol and disable it.
- Click on the OK button to save all the recently made changes and this will now increase your network bandwidth for sure.
Disable Windows Auto-Tuning Feature-
The Windows Auto-tuning feature is to offers smooth and quick data sharing from one device to another. But within the process, the feature sometimes gets into conflict with your network connection and can cause the windows 10 slow internet. To ensure a stable connection, you must follow the below steps to make it done.
- Open the command prompt by using the Windows logo key and type cmd in the command field.
- Now, right-click on the command prompt program and select the “run as an administrator” option.
- Click on “yes” to confirm the action that you have made.
- In the command prompt, enter the: netsh interface tcp show global command followed by pressing the enter key.
- After this, make a check at the “Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level” feature. If its value is set as normal, then you should disable the option to make things work.
- Later on, type- “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled” command and press enter.
Repair System Files
Having unorganized, missing, corrupted, or faulty system files are the main cause of experiencing a slow internet window 10. Thus, you should fix this issue either by repairing the files using Reimage or by running an SFC scan. Reimage is a tool used to inspect slow or unstable network connections. The tool performs a scan on your system files and detects the presence of a virus, malware, and other harmful files.
Here are the steps to use the Reimage tool to fix and repair your system files.
- The first step involves downloading and installing the Reimage tool on your device.
- After it gets downloaded, open the tool and click on Yes to confirm the action.
- The reimage tool will now run a complete scan on all of your system files to detect the faulty ones. This process may consume some time till then be patient and wait for the result.
- As the scan is completed, you can now see the drawn information from the scan. In case you need to run a scan to clean up the faulty files based on the results, you should have a full version of the tool.
- If you have the version, run the scan and let it finish.
- After this, reboot your device to view the after-effects of the process. Now, make a check the speed of your internet connection.
How can I increase the internet speed on my device?
If you are facing a slow internet connection on your device, then you should check up on the following things-
- Check the internet speed provided by your ISP.
- Move towards your router and be in your Wifi range
- Restart your router to gain proper network
Can Windows 10 affect my internet speed?
As mentioned above, Windows already has 20% internet bandwidth reserved within the system. Thus the user is left with only 80% of their bandwidth due to which you may encounter slow internet speed windows 10. If you do not want your Windows to reserve the part of your bandwidth, then you can set the reservation value to 0 after which you can use 100% of your bandwidth with ease.
How to fix the windows 10 slowing down the internet problem occurring on my device?
To fix the issue, we have some of the best working ways that could help you out with the process. All you need to do is to select a suitable method to proceed with it. If it fails, try for the other methods and make things work.
Technical issues often trigger the ongoing processes on the device making it lag in between. But with some patience and extra care, you can make your connection to be stable and more efficient than earlier. All you need is a perfect and accurate solution to fix your laggy and unstable condition and can resolve the issue of slow internet speed windows 10. All the methods above are completely safe and secure. Moreover, they involve all the basic steps that one can perform easily on their device to resolve the problem. Even after using all the above methods, the problem still persists, then you should try to contact your ISPs and ask them for a better connection and speed.