Have you ever witnessed how slow your computer becomes after installing all the updates? It can be very annoying especially when your computer is an indispensable part of your daily life. A slow computer means even the basic tasks can become very tedious to perform.
A simple scan through the windows task manager will show that the majority of the lagging is caused by the Modern Setup Host. The process strains the CPU and the disks heavily but why so?
In this article, we will explain in detail the reasons behind the problems caused by the “modern setup host”. Not only that, but we have also covered the different ways to fix the problem. All your queries related to the issue are also addressed here. So read on and find out everything you need to know.
What Is The Modern Setup Host?
First and foremost, let us define what is the modern setup host. It is also known as the SetupHost.exe and it is a Windows process that runs in the background. It comes to use during major update installation on your computer.
The process is pre-installed in your Windows device and located in the $windows.BT folder. Moreover, it is an important component for running the system setup process. When you are trying to upgrade your device to the Windows 10 version, this specifically plays a major role. In short, this is an essential process of the computer despite the technical glitches it is responsible for.
Getting Problem In Connecting To Wifi? Have A Look At WiFi Connected But No Internet Solutions.
How Long Should Modern Setup Host Run For?
It entirely depends on the computer’s performance. Ideally, the Modern setup host must run at most for 15-30 minutes when any small updates or installations are going on. In case there is a major update to be installed, it can run for 2-4 hours even in the background. Anything more or less than this indicates technical defects in the device.
What Causes Modern Setup Host to Eat CPU & Disk Resources?
The causes behind modern setup host high disk can be varied. Once you detect the reason which is leading to the trouble, the solutions become easier. The following are a few reasons which lead to the modern setup of host-related issues:
- When you try to download a large update over a hard disc with a slow read and write speed, the problem may arise.
- In case multiple resources or tasks are running in the background, it will also slow down the SetupHost.exe process.
- Often a malware or virus may disguise itself as the SetupHost.exe. In such a situation you will experience excessive lagging on the device.
Now that you know the different reasons behind the problems, we have listed some of the easiest ways to fix them. Read on and find out how to fix errors with the Modern setup host process and prevent slowing down of your CPU.
7 Ways to Fix Your Modern Setup Host from Hogging CPU & Disk Resources
Once you have the lagging issues with the modern setup host, it is time to look for fixes. There are several ways in which you can fix the problem. If implemented correctly, the performance of your device will be enhanced significantly. The following are seven ways in which you can fix the issue.
Fix 1: Toggle of all app control, background apps and suggestions
In case you are wondering what is the modern setup host issue and its easiest solution, try to disable all suggestions and background applications fast. When multiple applications run together, it can slow down the device significantly. Here’s how you can do it:
# Turn of Suggestions:
- Using Windows+I, open the windows system settings.
- Open the “systems” and then “notification and actions” from the left-side system menu.
- The fourth option is the Windows suggestions which have to be unchecked. The pro tips and tricks for windows that pop up will be disabled by this.
- Next, go back to the settings of the system and then choose the start option under which you will find the option to toggle off, “show suggestions” option.
# For app Control:
- Open system settings and go to the “update and security” options.
- Choose the option “security” from the left panel in the next window which opens.
- Click the “app and browser” option and toggle it off. you will also find the option to turn off Windows Smartscreen as well. However, do remember to turn it on when you are downloading something from the Windows App store.
# Background Apps
- Go to the “privacy” option under system settings.
- Choose the “background apps” option from the left panel.
- Toggle off all the unnecessary options.
Fix 2: Run Windows 10 Troubleshoot
In case your device is facing issues because of high CPU usage, you can also use the built-in windows troubleshooting program. It is already available on Windows 10. However, those who are using Windows 7 or 8 will have to download it separately. Here’s how you can run the program:
- In the windows search bar, type in Troubleshoot and click on the application that comes up.
- Choose the Troubleshoot option from the left-hand side panel where the menu is situated.
- Under the section “Get up and Running” find the option Windows update which is usually situated at the end.
- Click on “Run troubleshooter” next.
- Follow the instructions which come up next to complete the troubleshooting process.
Fix 3: Clean all Temporary Files
There are often temporary files in the software distribution folder. They often conflict with the modern setup host and are indicated when the process gets stuck midway while installing an update. This can cause a major spike in CPU usage. Here’s how to fix it:
- Press windows+R and then open the run dialogue box.
- Type in Softwaredistribution and then click on enter.
- In the next window, click on the download folder option.
- Hold down the left shift and then click on the first item and the last item on the list. This way you can select all the folders.
- Right-click and then hit the delete option.
- Close the window and then restart the device.
Fix 4: Fix any Windows Update Error
In case your Modern Setup Host takes hours to download any new update, the problem is likely to be an error while the update is happening. There may be corrupted update files that need to be fixed. This can be done by running a DISM scan.
- Open Command Prompt and then right-click on it and click run as administrator.
Next run the commands shared below:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth [enter].
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth [enter].
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth [enter].
- Give the device some time while the problems are being fixed. Make sure the windows are not closed during this time as it will disrupt the process.
For users with Windows 7, System Update Readiness Tool is the option that has to be downloaded first to fix this specific issue.
Fix 5: Prevent Other Processes with Interrupt Modern Setup Host
In case other programs are interfering with the process, there will be a loss of disc resources. The problems include lagging, and even failure to complete the process. You can do a clean boot to fix the issue. Here’s how to do it:
- Hold down Windows+R and in the run dialogue box enter the command msconfig and then hit enter.
- In the next window, go to the general tab.
- Choose the option Selective startup and from there go to the option “load startup” and then uncheck it.
- Next move to the services tab and from there check the option “Hide all Microsoft Services.”
- Next, go to the startup menu and open the task manager. Opt to disable all the startup items and then close the task manager.
- Go back to system configuration and click okay.
Fix 6: Use your System’s Default Language
When the computer’s default operating language does not match with the default system user interface language, the modern setup host can hang. To fix it, follow the steps shared below:
- Go to the control panel of your computer and then to the clock and region option.
- Here, under the format, click on the drop-down menu and ensure it is matching the default user-interface language.
- You will find the language preference option here. Choose the system language from here and then click ok.
Fix 7: Disable The Windows Update
This is a temporary fix and not advised unless you need a desperate solution. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the run dialogue box and then enter the service.msc and hit okay.
- Look for the windows update option here.
- Next right-click on it and go to Properties.
- Go to the general tab and click the drop-down menu from where you should choose disabled.
- You must click stop if it is running at present.
- Hit apply and save the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I turn off the Modern Setup Host?
If you are not going to update your windows device, then you may disable the modern setup host process. However, this is not advised and especially users who wish to upgrade their OS to Windows 10 should not do this. On the other hand, the issue with the modern setup host will be eradicated when it is turned off.
How do I get rid of 100% disk usage?
Hundred percent disk usage leads to major lagging and even slows down basic tasks performed by the computer. There are a few ways in which you can sort the problem and fix it:
- Restart the device and refresh it several times.
- Update the computer if possible.
- Look for any malware in the device.
- Disable the windows search option.
- If the SuperFetch service is enabled, stop it.
- Change the energy options from Balanced to High performance.
- Temporarily turn the antivirus off and restart the device and then turn it back on.
What causes high disk usage?
High disk usage may be caused for several reasons. When several applications are running in the background, the hard disk usage runs high. If any tool malfunctions or gets stuck while performing any operation, that too can lead to major disk overclocking. Another major reason behind such issues is the antivirus software which continuously runs in the background.
How can I improve disk performance?
There are many ways in which you can maintain the basic disk performance: The following are some of them:
- Remove all duplicate files and free up more space on the hard disk.
- Do not install unnecessary software and make sure they are installed correctly.
- Keep the OS updated whenever a new update is released.
- Periodically clean the device physically like blowing out dust and wiping off the grime.
What does the defragmenter do?
Defragging is a process that rearranges all the layout of your files in the hard disk to free up more space and also let you find the files faster. All you need to do is run the defragmenter and the arrangement will be done on its own. It is also called defragging. It can be run on most hard disks and as a result, accessing files becomes much easier.
What does the WMI provider host do?
WMI provider host or WmiPrvSe.exe is also known as windows management instrumentation provider service. Many processes of the PC depend on it. In case it stops running or is removed, all these processes will also become useless. Error notification of the PC is mostly regulated by this option which will stop in case the VMW provider does not work.
The Modern setup host process is elemental to make your device more functional and to easily update it. But unfortunately, the problem with lagging caused by this process can be tiresome. With all the possible solutions shared above, anyone can fix the error in no time.
So next time your device starts lagging after an update, make sure to check the Windows task manager. Once you have detected the problem, you will be able to fix it quickly in no time. Enjoy lag-free performance on your device by mastering all the solutions possible to modern setup host issues and keep your computer healthy.