When you are in the middle of a job and all of a sudden, the device crashes with an error message, it can be frustrating. Sadly, almost everyone has faced the situation once in a while. Moreover, the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error is a critical one that comes on a blue screen rendering the device completely useless till it is fixed. It is an indication that there is a faulty driver in the device. Another reason can be malware in case your device does not have premium antivirus software.
Luckily there are few quick fixes to the situation which anyone with basic technical knowledge can perform. In this article, we have listed all such solutions to ensure your devices are functional round the clock.
Causes Of Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal Windows 10
There are several reasons behind the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error and it is important to recognize the cause to fix the error quickly. The error is traceable to the network drivers like ndis.sys system files which are caused when an incorrect address is entered. The use of incorrect memory addresses is the primary reason behind the problem. Apart from that, there are several other factors which are as follows:
- Major device drive issues: In case you are using an older version of the driver, then a bug in the driver can lead to the issue. In such a situation the driver will lead to the system crashing and you will see the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error popping up.
- Corrupted Windows 10 OS: When one of the Windows 10 OS files is corrupted, it can lead to various system file errors including system crashes.
- Hardware Problems: This is another reason behind this system error. When hardware inside the device is faulty, the error message driver_irql_not_less_or_equal also comes up.
- Virus- A malware infection leads to this error which can lead to the device crashing and the blue screen of death.
Troubleshooting The Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal On Windows 10
The first and foremost thing to do when you get the error driver_irql_not_less_or_equal windows 10 is find out the reason behind the trouble. Once you have sorted what is leading to the problem, you can quickly fix it. Before delving into the solutions, make sure you check the stop code that is located at the bottom of the page. It is related to a kernel-mode driver that attempted to access a pageable memory and failed and hence the error happened.
The following are the different ways in which this particular error can be solved in no time provided, you follow the instructions thoroughly:
Upgrade or Reinstall The Device Driver
Once you have found out the specific file which is causing the error, check whether there is an update for the driver which uses the file. Check the version of the drive that you are using. This can be done from the device manager which can be accessed from the windows 10 start menu.
- Once you open the device manager, right-click and select properties.
- The window which pops up will have a driver tab. Click on it.
- Look at the number next to the driver version.
- Go to the website of the driver manufacturer and from there search for the latest version of the driver.
- Choose the correct file for your Windows OS and download it.
- Once it has been downloaded follow the installation steps and finish the installation.
- The issue is likely to be solved as soon as this is done.
- In case the problem persists, you need to delete the current driver and then reinstall it again after rebooting the machine once.
- If the problem continues, you can switch to an older driver version as the latest version may have a bug that causes the system error.
Fix the corrupt OS file
You can use the CHKDSK program to check your windows 10 system for corrupted files and any bad sector. Usually, the scan automatically fixes the problem and the issue with the blue screen of death is solved.
- Run CHKDSK by going to the CMD and right-clicking on the command prompt and then selecting run as administrator.
- A black window will open where you need to type CHKDSK C:/f/r. Next, you get prompted with y/n where you type in y and then hit enter.
- It takes 20 minutes to 2 hours to run and find the file and fix it.
Troubleshoot Any Hardware problems
In case there is a hardware problem in your device the system error can occur in such a situation too. Often when faulty hardware is connected to your device, it can cause such troubles. Here’s what you can do in such a situation:
- Remove all external devices like printers, and scanners to ensure these are not the source of the problem.
- Also, remove any recently installed hardware.
- Remove any USB and hard drives which are connected with the device.
- All memory modules should be removed as well.
- Check whether the CPU fan is working correctly.
Examine these devices to ensure the problem is not occurring from any of these. In case any of these are faulty, get them repaired and then reconnect or install them on your device. Usually, the problem is solved after a thorough check if it occurred from the hardware errors.
Virus and malware issues
In case there is a virus or malware in the system, technical problems can occur in such a situation too. Update the local virus scanner and also run a full system scan. Also, run a second online virus scanner to be sure. There are several highly efficient virus scanners available online which can be used for this purpose.
How To Fix Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal On Windows 10
If you are using windows 10 specifically, there are several simple ways to solve this error:
Run a windows clean boot
- Open run dialogue box using the shortcut key windows+R.
- Type in msconfig and then click on OK or hit the enter key.
- Go to the general tab of the window that opens and choose selective startup. Uncheck the Load startup items here.
- Next, go to the services tab and opt for “hide all Microsoft services” and then click on disable all.
- Click ok and then on restart. The device will restart again and the error is likely to be solved once the computer is up and running.
Other Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal Fixes
There are several other ways too in which you can fix the driver_irql_not_less_or_equal error and ensure your device is up and running in no time. The following are the different ways in which you can solve the system file error quickly and effectively:
- Stop Code 0x000000d1 driver_irql_not_less_or_equal means you get the stop code 0x000000d1 when the system crashes. This happens when you have recently installed windows hotfix2738401. Check your system for all the programs for the hotfix being installed. You can remove or uninstall the program and the issue is likely to be sorted.
- Run an SFC Scan to check for any system file errors and ensure that they get sorted automatically by the program. You can type in CMD in the start menu and then right-click on it to run it as administrator and solve the error.
- You can also run a dism/cleanup-image scan that checks for errors with hotfixes and updates on your system if any. Click on the start menu and type CMD and right-click on the command prompt to run it as administrator. Once the black window appears type in dism/online/cleanup-image and then click on Enter.
Preventing The BSOD Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal Error
The best solution to the error is to prevent it in the first place. Several steps can be taken to prevent the issue.
- Every month check whether all your drivers are up to date and update them in case they are not.
- Always install the latest service pack for the windows 10 system. The latest service pack may have a stop code for the specific errors which you are facing.
- Keep your windows updated by simply going to the windows 10 start menu and typing in check for updates and hitting enter. Once the latest updates show up, install them.
- Keep your antivirus updated so that the problem is not caused due to malfunctioning caused by malware.
Hopefully, the above solutions for driver_irql_not_less_or_equal are useful for solving the problem completely. Once you have mastered the technique and recognize the reason behind the error, you can quickly fix it. Your device will be up and running once more when the problem is solved. Like most Windows system errors, this one is not too complicated either, though it can put your device off any use as long as it is not fixed.
Now that you know the solution to the stop code driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, you can ensure the device stays functional at any time of the day without waiting for professional help.