Your smartphone may be older than you think. The phone’s age plays a vital role in how it wears and also the performance you can expect from it. Smartphones like the iPhone are built much harder than you expect. Meaning, they last much longer than other phones, making them a sought-after device.
Many people even today use older versions of the iPhone like the iPhone SE, 6 and so on. These were released around 2016 or earlier. However, they still function equally well even today. When you are trying to sell your old iPhone, to know its right resale value, knowing the age is important. The same applies when you are buying an old iPhone from previous users.
Thankfully, there are several ways to find out the correct age of your phone. Here we have shared the different methods of finding out the age of your old iPhone accurately.
3 Simple Ways To Find Out Your iPhone’s Age
To find out the iPhone’s age, you first need to find out its serial number. To use any of the methods of finding out your iPhone’s age, the serial number plays a vital role. Here’s how to find it out:
- Open the settings option on your iPhone.
- Click on the General option under the settings.
- Go to the About section in the general menu.
- The serial number of your iPhone will appear along with all other relevant information. Make a note of it.
Once you have taken note of the serial number, next, it is time to find out the age of your iPhone. To do so, you can check Apple’s Coverage or use Chipmunk Klantenservice. Last is the simplest method which is checking the serial number combination. Let us share in detail how each of these methods works:
#1 By Checking The Apple’s Coverage
The following are the steps to check apple’s coverage and find out the age of your iPhone:
- On the iPhone or your PC, open the apple coverage website-checkcoverage.apple.com
- There is a field to enter the serial number. Enter it along with the specific captcha in the respective fields.
- Click on continue and the next page will open.
- On the next screen, all the details about your iPhone will be visible.
- Go to the segment called Repair and Service Coverage. The estimated expiration date will be mentioned here. Apple provides service coverage for a year. From this date, you will be able to find the age of the iPhone.
If you are using the iPhone for more than a year, the expiration date does not appear. In that case, you will need help from Chipmunk Klantenservice.
#2 Using Chipmunk Klantenservice:
The Chipmunk Klantenservice is a third-party tool that is used to find the age of any iPhone. Here’s how to do it:
- From your browser, go to the chipmunk website which is www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.
- In the specified area, enter the serial number of your device and then click on the show the information button.
- Scroll down to the end of the next page which opens and there you can find all the relevant information about your iPhone. The production year and production week are mentioned here which you must note down. You can calculate the exact age of the phone using these dates.
#3 Calculating using the serial number
This is the simplest method, provided you are familiar with what the letters in the serial number denote. Also, only the year of manufacture can be found out using this method. So, if you are looking for even more precise information, this method is not for you. Here’s how you can get it.
- Once you have looked up the serial number from the general settings of the device, note it down correctly.
- The serial number will be 12 characters long. It is a combination of alphabets and numbers which give us all the necessary information about the manufacture date, time, place and model number.
The 4th character of the serial number will give you the year of manufacture. Here’s what the following letters denote when it is in the 4th position:
- K – 2013 (First Half)
- L – 2013 (Second Half)
- M – 2014 (First Half)
- N – 2014 (Second Half)
- P- 2015 (First Half)
- Q- 2015 (Second Half)
- R- 2016 (First Half)
- S- 2016 (Second Half)
- T- 2017 (First Half)
- V- 2017 (Second Half)
- W- 2018 (First Half)
- X- 2018 (Second Half)
- Y- 2019 (First Half)
- Z – 2019 (First Half)
- D – 2020 (Second Half)
You can also check your emails to find out if there is any soft copy of the bill from the time of purchasing the phone. The date of billing also gives an estimated age. In short, the age of your phone is possible to find out. Once you have the information, buying or selling an old phone is much easier. From the serial number to third-party solutions, there are different ways to find out the necessary information. Once you have mastered it, getting the most out of your iPhone becomes smooth.