Computer memory is the most essential part of any device. It is used to store immediate information for all the running applications and files in the background. The high memory usage windows 10 issue is the most problematic issue faced by millions of users worldwide.
Whenever you exceed the memory limit for your device, there arises the situation of getting into the high ram usage windows 10 issue. Running out of memory is such an infuriating experience as it restricts you from using your device as per its efficiency. You can identify the error from the day you start experiencing slower processing, lagging, or getting no response from the device. This is the initial stage for having the windows 10 high memory usage problem occurring on the device.
These regular interruptions straight away mean that you need to spend hours just to wait for the programs or applications to become operational. This will eventually disturb your workflow and lead to time delays as well.
While there are various techniques you can perform to eradicate the issue. On the other hand, you can contribute more to solve the issue permanently. But for this, one must figure out the exact cause for the problem. Once you are aware of the cause of the windows 10 ram usage, you can pick out the best method to fix the issue. The method is related to the cause of the issue.
To know more about the problem and its solution, read the article below and fix the issue using those techniques.
What Is High Memory Usage?
High Memory Usage is a stage where the Windows RAM, ROM or Cache memory fails to respond. It is a situation where these memory drivers are utilized to an extreme level and the usage goes beyond their limit. The high memory usage windows 10 issue is directly related to the RAM and the virtual memory of the device.
This condition arises when your device runs multiple background applications and those applications consume the bulk of your device’s memory. This memory overuse is known as the High Memory Usage condition. When your device gets into extreme condition, then the window gets frozen while running any application. This means that the system fails to respond to the user’s commands. Also, the users can repetitively experience a pop-up window. The pop-up window repeatedly displays the error message saying that “Your computer is low on memory”. Also, you can check the high memory usage to get better clarity about your device’s situation.
Fixes for High (RAM) Memory Usage Issue in Windows 10:
Fixing the high memory usage windows 10 can be a handy process if you have the working methods and ways to tackle the problem. This is because facing the windows 10 ram usage memory is a major problem faced by various users. So, here we have some of the best working methods to solve the high ram usage of windows 10. Refer to any one of the below methods and solve your problem.
#1. Close Unnecessary Running Applications or Programs
Sometimes, the high memory usage of Windows 10 errors is caused due to the multiple applications running in the background. This is because whenever we use the applications and slide them for a while, the background applications end up consuming a large amount of space on your Windows device. Hence, to overcome this issue, one must close all the unnecessary applications running in the background. Also, the programs that take up huge memory space should be closed immediately.
The steps to close the background running applications are as follows-
- Go to the Start menu of your device by clicking on the Windows icon.
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Windows+ X shortcut keys and then selecting the Task Manager option.
- Alternatively, you can search the Task Manager application directly from the search menu and right-click on it to open.
- From the process tab located at the top-left corner of the screen. Now sort the applications based on their memory usage. Sort them according to the ones that consume high memory.
- Now, select the ones that you do not need any further. Click and select all the unnecessary programs and then select the “End task” option.
- This option will end these background running applications and your device will now be in a stable condition.
#2. Defragment Hard Drive And Adjust For Best Performance-
Defragmenting your hard disk drives also saves a lot of memory storage on your device. The defragmenting process can be achieved using manual work. Also, it will optimize the performance of your device. The steps involved in this method are as follows-
- Open the run command using the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- In the run command, type dfrgui and then click on the “Defragment and Optimize Drives” option to open the application on your device.
- Now select the hard disk drive that you want to defragment and optimize.
- Now click on the optimize option and let the process be finished.
- Once the defragment process is over, restart your device to view the after-effects.
- After this, you need to adjust the performance of your defragmented drive.
- For this, go to the PC option, right-click on This PC, and select properties from there.
- Go to the Advanced system settings and go to the settings option available under the Performance tab.
- From the visual tabs option, select the Adjust for best performance option and click on the Apply button, and then OK to make the relevant changes.
#3. Increase Virtual Memory
Virtual memory is the other best alternative to solve your problem for high memory usage windows 10. Virtual memory is stored as a part of your hard disk space to free up some parts of your device’s memory.
Having a large virtual memory on your device can help you to utilize your device’s memory efficiently. Virtual memory is stored as a file available on your hard disk. Here are the steps to increase your virtual memory.
- First of all, you must find the virtual memory of your device to alter its settings.
- To find it, you should first open the File Explorer and right-click on the “This pc” option and then click on the “Properties” option.
- From the pop-up window displayed on the screen, click on the Advanced system settings option to view the related searches.
- Now, go to the performance tabs located under the advanced system settings feature and click on the Settings option.
- On the performance options, click on the Advanced page followed by clicking on the Change option.
- After this, you should cancel the virtual memory available on the partition C drive.
- For this, you should uncheck all the automatically managed sizes of the drives to disable the feature.
- Click on the partition C option and make a check on the No paging file followed by clicking the set button to save the marked changes.
- Now you will receive a pop-up message on which you should click on the “Yes” option to proceed.
- Once you have successfully reset the virtual memory, you now have to set the appropriate memory size for your non-system partition.
- Select the non-system partition where you want to add the virtual memory to.
- Click on the custom size option and then check for availability.
- Now select a particular size for both the initial size and the maximum size field to avoid the redundancy for different file sizes.
- Once the size is set, click on the Set option and then click on the OK button to save all the changes.
#4. Disable Superfetch Service-
Superfetch is an inbuilt service that allows the application to run with a low memory consumption than it would occupy naturally. For users who already have the HDD hard disk attached to their device, this feature would be very helpful to all of them. Whereas the ones with pre-installed SSD can create obstacles in your way. Therefore, to disable this issue, follow the below steps to get it over.
- Click on the search bar, type “services. msc” and then click on the Run option.
- Scroll down on the entire page and search for the Superfetch option. When you get the option, right-click on it and click on the Stop option.
- This way you can disable the Superfetch settings.
#5. Increase Physical Memory
Another alternative feature to solve the high memory usage windows 10 issue is by increasing your device’s physical memory. You can add an external memory card to your device that will extend your device’s memory for further use.
To use it, you must have a related memory type. Check the memory type with the parameters defined on your device. To increase the physical memory, follow the below steps-
- Check the memory size of your device. For this, right-click on the “This pc” option and then go to the properties section.
- Under the properties section, go to the Task Manager and then select the performance tab.
- From there, click on the Memory option.
- The memory option will display all the related parameters such as speed and the size of the memory.
- Select a relevant memory card as per the size, insert it on your device and use it freely.
#6. Disable NDU in The Registry
Disabling the NDU feature under the registry option is another method that can help you to deal with the windows 10 ram usage issues. The steps used under this method are as follows-
- Click on the Windows search option and type Regedit. Open the registry editor and proceed further.
- Now, use and visit the path- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/Ndu.
- After this, select the Start DWORD option with a right-click and click on the “Modify” option.
- The default value for the Start option is already being set. Change the default value to 4 and then click on OK to save the recently made changes.
- Once you are done, restart your device to view the after-effects.
- Now, if you feel after restarting your device, you face any internet issues,
#7. Reset PC or Reinstall Windows 10
Tried all the above solutions and still can’t fix the issue, so you need to use this method for sure. Reinstalling your windows or resetting your device solves all your existing problems. But, the method is a bit risky as it involves setting up your device again. This involves erasing all your data. You may even lose all your applications and installed software. Hence, you must keep a backup of your data to prevent yourself from losing it. Here are the steps to reset your device.
- Open the Settings option using the Windows+ I shortcut keys and then click on the Update and Security feature.
- Under the update, an security option’s menu, select the recovery option from the left side.
- Click on the recovery tab and then under the Advanced setup feature, and then click on the restart now button.
- The device will now be restarted and you will be redirected to the advanced startup screen.
- From the choice, an optional feature, click on Troubleshoot. Then select the Rest this pc option.
- Make a choice to select from “removing everything” or keeping your files.
- Now, wait for the process to be finished. Just wait and let it be done.
If this doesn’t help you, then you should reinstall your windows to fix it. Before reinstalling your device, you must take a backup for your files to save them for future use.
The steps are as follows-
- Visit the official Microsoft website and get the download tool on your device.
- Save and grant the permissions to run the files.
- Now, allow the User account control window to make certain changes.
- Select the installation drive for another device and click next.
- Now, make relative choices for language, edition, and other features.
- Select the USB drive and make relevant changes to it.
- The bootable USB device is now ready to be used. You can install the windows using this USB flash drive.
- After this, use the settings option and follow all the above steps used to reset your PC.
- Follow the steps till the troubleshooting part, and after that from the troubleshooting screen, select the second option instead of the first.
- Choose UEFI Firmware settings and click on the Restarts button.
- Change the order of boots under the boot settings. Make the order where USB comes first in the list followed by saving the changes.
- Now, install the Windows on to your device, using any key to boot up.
- Click next and the install now options to move ahead.
- Since you do not have any key to solve the issue, use the relevant option and click next.
- Select the Windows edition that you are currently using and click Next.
- Accept the terms and conditions and move ahead.
- Select the custom install option and delete the primary drive using the delete option.
- Delete all the existing partitions and Windows will create them automatically.
- Now, select the empty drive and click on Next to complete the process.
- Wait for the installation process to begin and end.
This is how you can reinstall Windows on your device.
Bonus Tips: How to Avoid High Memory Usage Issue on Windows 10:
We have already discussed the ways to fix the high ram usage windows 10 issue. But this isn’t enough. Fixing the issue every time can be a headache for most users. So, to reduce this, you must learn the techniques to avoid windows 10 ram usage errors. These techniques will help you to prevent the error from occurring repeatedly. So, here we go.
- Add a big enough memory card to the PC
- Run virus cleaner regularly
- Disable unnecessary programs from Startup
- Release virtual memory from hard drive
- Fix file system error and defrag hard drive regularly
All these above methods will help you to avoid the error occurrence for sure. Also, you can follow the fixing methods in case you face it.
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions. Refer to them in case you have any doubts regarding the issue.
What all factors affect the memory usage of a device?
The memory usage of a device is managed by different factors. The 2 main types of memories such as the RAM and ROM are responsible for this.
Ram is used to store data when in use. Whereas, ROM is used to store the data permanently.
The games, videos, documents, and other media applications do take up a lot of your memory space.
Having unnecessary applications and other files stored on your device also consumes huge memory setup.
It can even crash your system when in use.
Is the high ram usage of windows 10 really problematic?
The windows 10 ram usage error has various effects on your device. You may experience a low or degraded performance of your device. Additionally, the applications do not respond to the servers and the commands. You cannot operate your device with all the functionalities in its proper mode. Therefore, it is advised to fix the issue as soon as possible to use your device efficiently.
Does high RAM usage damages my device or degrades its performance?
If your device has a high memory usage issue, then the device does not respond accurately. The running applications get frozen and have no interaction further. It also leads to disrupting and annoying pop-up messages that constantly warn the user about the error display. With the windows 10 high memory usage error, the device operates with low or degraded functionalities that even affect the performance. Generally, a fast RAM offers a decent performance. This in turn increases the active interaction of the system with the user. Hence, you must have faster RAM to ensure high performance.
Solving the Windows 10 high memory usage error is not a big deal. The problem occurs multiple times as the device gets out of memory every time you download new media or other files. To resolve this, we have listed the 6 best working methods that will help you to customize your device’s memory and to use it efficiently. Whenever you face such an issue of memory size, keep all these methods handy and operate them on your device. The problem can have multiple causes, so we should try fixing the situation from all possible angles. Hopefully, the above methods have helped you to crack the issue and you can now use your device efficiently.